Confidentiality: The HIPAA Privacy Rule And 42 CFR Part 2
Author: Teresa Crowe, PhD, LICSW, LCSWC
(Click author's name for bio)
Course Created: 2022
Practice Level: Intermediate
No book to buy
Teresa Crowe, PhD, LICSW, LCSWC
Teresa Crowe, PhD, LICSW, LCSWC is a licensed clinical social worker in the District of Columbia and Maryland. She is a professor of social work at Gallaudet University and teaches practice, theory, and research in the MSW program. She coordinates a telemental health program for deaf children and adults through Arundel Lodge, Inc. located in Edgewater, MD. Her recent research focuses on deaf and hard of hearing populations, especially in the areas of behavioral health, intimate partner violence, telemental health, well-being, and help-seeking.
4.6 out of 5.0, Based on: 9,979 reviews
This continuing education course provides an overview of The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and 42 CFR Part 2 and their implications for mental health practitioners.
This course contains downloadable online lessons (PDF) and a practice test. When you're ready, purchase the course by clicking the "Add To Cart" button. This will let you take the test, complete the course evaluation and receive your certificate for CE credits.
- Explain the purpose of Title II of HIPAA.
- Identify the types of health information that are protected by HIPAA.
- Describe how to manage risks to breach of protected health information.
- Explain the intent and purpose of 42 CFR Part 2 legislation.
- Recognize the regulations of 42 CFR Part 2 that govern patient confidentiality in substance use treatment.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Who is covered by the Privacy Rule?
- What is Protected Health Information?
- HIPAA Security Rule
- Administrative Safeguards
- Physical Safeguards
- Technical Safeguards
- When is a Covered Entity Permitted to Use or Disclose PHI?
- Other Requirements
- 45 CFR §164.314 Organizational Requirements
- 45 CFR §164.316 Policies, Procedures, and Documentation Requirements
- The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act
- Omnibus Rules
- Enforcement Rules
- 42 CFR Part 2: Confidentiality of Substance Use Disorder Patient Records
- 42 CFR Part 2 Regulations
- Part 2 Programs
- Confidentiality and Privacy Protections
- Consent and Disclosure of Protected Records
- Reports of Violations
- Proper Consent
- Rulings of CFR 42 Part 2
- 2017 Final Rule
- 2018 Final Rule
- 2020 Final Rule
- 2021 Final Rule
Ce4Less.com, provider #1115, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce4Less.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB ACE Approval Period: 07/08/21-07/08/24.
We are committed to providing our learners with unbiased information. Ce4Less never accepts commercial support and our authors have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to the material