Neurodevelopmental Disorders: Learning and Attention
3.6 out of 4.0, Based on: 124 reviews
New to the DSM-5, is a chapter on Neurodevelopmental Disorders which contains seven disorders that share impairments in a number of developmental areas, including personal, social, academic or occupational functioning. Some of the disorders are more likely to be detected early, such as the more severe variants of intellectual disabilities, autism spectrum disorders (ASD), motor disorders, tic disorders and communication disorders. However, other disorders in this category, like the specific learning disorders (SLD) or attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have been called the “hidden disabilities” because they are not obvious disabilities and often are detected only after significant failure has been experienced by the individual. The DSM-5 has clustered these disorders in the same chapter because the neurodevelopmental disorders frequently co-occur; for example individuals with autism spectrum disorder will often have intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder), and many children with attention-deficit disorder (ADHD), also have a specific learning disorder. This course will focus on specific learning disorders (specific learning disabilities; SLD) and ADHD.
This course contains downloadable online lessons (PDF or Word) and a practice test. When you're ready, purchase the course by clicking the "Add To Cart" button. This will let you take the test, complete the course evaluation and receive your certificate for CE credits.
- Introduction to Specific Learning Disabilities
- Definitions and Issues in Classification
- Specific Types of Learning Disabilities
- Problems of Impulsivity, Hyperactivity and Inattention
- Explain the different types of SLD and how they influence learning at different developmental levels
- List the three different types of ADHD
- Discuss the etiology, prevalence, and symptoms of SLD and ADHD according to the DSM-5
- Describe how both disorders are conceptualized by IDEA and the Education System.