Telemental Health Practice
Author: Teresa Crowe, PhD, LICSW
(Click author's name for bio)
Course Created: 2020
Practice Level: Intermediate
No book to buy
Teresa Crowe, PhD, LICSW
Teresa Crowe, PhD, LICSW is a licensed clinical social worker in the District of Columbia and Maryland. She is a professor of social work at Gallaudet University and teaches practice, theory, and research in the MSW program. Her recent research focuses on deaf and hard of hearing populations, especially in the areas of behavioral health, intimate partner violence, telemental health, and help-seeking.
4.6 out of 5.0, Based on: 10,059 reviews
Telehealth technologies provide mobility and enhanced access to care by providing real-time, interactive video services, in-home and mobile health remote monitoring, and uses devices that gather and store health information. Virtual health visits can include a variety of services (e.g., teleservices), such as remote patient monitoring and video appointments. Telemental health, including telepsychiatry, telepsychology, and teletherapy, is a communication and information system that allows clinicians to provide psychiatric and behavioral health services using the telephone, videoconferencing, and the Internet. Because technologies evolve quickly, practitioners may find it difficult to keep abreast of information. Some clinicians may not be familiar with the intricacies of providing telemental health services. When deciding whether to facilitate a new telemental health practice, clinicians should understand the benefits, risks, and protections that apply to clinical practice. Because of the COVID pandemic, many behavioral health services offered in such settings as private practice, community agencies, or schools shifted to telemental health quite rapidly. This learning material will provide information for the practitioner who may be new to the use of technology to provide remote behavioral and mental health services. There are many advantages to incorporating new technologies in the provision of behavioral health services to clients, but it requires that clinicians understand its components, use them to maximize the benefits to clients.
This course contains downloadable online lessons (PDF) and a practice test. When you're ready, purchase the course by clicking the "Add To Cart" button. This will let you take the test, complete the course evaluation and receive your certificate for CE credits.
- Describe the benefits of using telemental health services.
- Define terminology basic to telemental health, computers, and technology.
- Differentiate types of computer security measures.
- List methods for video etiquette.
- Explain legal and regulatory considerations and professional guidelines related to telemental health practice.
- Explain the use of telemental health for risk assessments, safety protocols, and informed consent.
- Identify the mental health conditions for which telemental health services can provide effective treatment.
- Identify ethical considerations when providing telemental health services.
- Summarize considerations for multicultural telemental health practice.
- Telemental Health Terminology Basics
- History of Telemental Health
- Types of Telemental Health Practices and Settings
- Benefits and Challenges of Teleservices
- Computer Basics
- Telemental Health Technology Basics
- Legal and Regulatory Considerations
- Implementation Basics
- Video Considerations
- Client Preparation
- Treatment Considerations
- Telemental Health Best Practices and Professional Guidelines
- Screening, Assessment, and Intake
- Treatment Interventions
- Ethical Considerations
- Multicultural Considerations
- Summary and Recommendations
Ce4Less.com, provider #1115, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce4Less.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB ACE Approval Period: 07/08/21-07/08/24.
We are committed to providing our learners with unbiased information. Ce4Less never accepts commercial support and our authors have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to the material