Continuing Education Requirements:
A Preliminary School Psychologist Certificate: A one-time, 3-year renewal requires the completion of at least 6 semester credit hours in an approved school psychologist program from an EPI. The credit must be completed since the issue date of the preliminary psychology certificate. The preliminary school psychologist certificate may also be renewed with a valid, out-of-state school psychologist certificate.
A School Psychologist Certificate: Valid for 5 years and renewable using one of the following options:
Option A: One of the following Education-related professional learning options completed since the issue date of the most recent school psychology certificate or renewal and logged into MOECS:
- 6 semester credit hours appropriate for performing the roles of a school psychologist from a regionally accredited college or university; or
- 150 Michigan State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) appropriate for performing the roles of a school psychologist; or
- 150 hours of Michigan District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) appropriate for performing the roles of a school psychologist.
- Any combination of the above equaling 150 hours.
Option B: A valid Michigan Professional Teaching Certificate.
Option C: A valid Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) credential.
Option D: A valid out-of-state school psychologist certificate. Option D is for a onetime renewal only.
Professional Learning Conversion:
- College credit: 1 semester credit = 25 professional learning hours
- SCECH Hours: 1 SCECH hour = 1 professional learning hour
- DPPD Hours: 1 DPPD hour = 1 professional learning hour
National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
CE4Less is not an approved provider for NASP. However, NASP does accept up to 25 credit hours from “Self-Study” that don’t need NASP approval.
Sequenced Programs are self-studies developed and published to provide training in specific knowledge or skill areas. A test is typically given at the end of the course and usually a certificate of completion is issued. This can include courses taken on the Internet.
25 CPD credits may be earned from CE4Less.com, since our courses are considered sequenced programs. You should be able to answer “yes” to the following four questions about the course you take:
- Did the activity enhance or upgrade my professional skills or add to my knowledge base?
- Was the activity relevant to the professional practice of school psychology?
- Did the activity fit into my personal plan for continuing professional development?
- Did the activity go beyond the ordinary aspects of my employment?
You can view this information under “Category H: Self-Study” at the NASP website: http://www.nasponline.org/certification/renew_cpdcategories.aspx