Psychopharmacology: A Comprehensive Review
Author: Jassin M. Jouria, MD
(Click author's name for bio)
Course Created: 2017
Practice Level: Intermediate to Advanced
No book to buy
Jassin M. Jouria, MD
Jassin M. Jouria is a medical doctor, professor of academic medicine, and medical author. He graduated from Ross University School of Medicine and has completed his clinical clerkship training in various teaching hospitals throughout New York, including King’s County Hospital Center and Brookdale Medical Center, among others. Dr. Jouria has served as a test prep tutor and instructor for Kaplan. He has developed several medical courses and curricula for a variety of educational institutions. Dr. Jouria has also served on multiple levels in the academic field including faculty member and Department Chair. Dr. Jouria continues to serves as a Subject Matter Expert for several continuing education organizations covering multiple basic medical sciences.
3.6 out of 4.0, Based on: 66 reviews
This course offers a comprehensive review of the fundamentals of psychopharmacology as well as valuable concepts that attempt to integrate psychopharmacological topics with clinical psychopathology and psychiatric theory in general. Additionally, it presents practical information on the targeted therapy, benefits, side effects, drug-drug interactions and suggested doses of psychotropic drugs. The four major classes are discussed- antipsychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilizers and antianxiety/sleeping medications, including updated information on the array of new medications and how they differ from traditional drugs. Further information is provided on the use of benzodiazepines, stimulants and sedatives in the management of other mental health disorders.
This course contains downloadable online lessons (PDF or Word) and a practice test. When you're ready, purchase the course by clicking the "Add To Cart" button. This will let you take the test, complete the course evaluation and receive your certificate for CE credits.
- Classification of Psychotropic Medications
- Adverse Effects of Psychotropic Medications
- Classification of Mental Health Disorders
- Dosage and Delivery
- Special Populations
- Limitations and Inadequacies
- Lifestyle Precautions
- Quick Reference to Psychotropic Medication
- Describe the basic principles of psychopharmacology.
- Describe basic brain and nerve anatomy.
- Explain the mechanism of action and targeted therapy of antipsychotics.
- Describe the use and management of stimulants vs. sedatives in mental health disorders.
- Explain the goals of treating depression with antidepressant medications.
- discuss interactions and adverse reactions of different classes of psychotropic drugs.