Practice Level: Advanced
Motivational interviewing is a method that promotes positive behavior change. It can be used in a multitude of healthcare environments and situations to promote patient adherence to treatment and progress toward improved health outcomes. Motivational interviewing is based on the principles of therapeutic communication and instead of providing advice, or even just a listening ear, the interviewer acts as a coach for the patient. Motivational interviewing is a collaborative process that edifies and makes the patient responsible for personal choices. It is not exclusively a stand-alone therapy. It can be incorporated into treatments and routine care for patients with various health issues, including those with physical health problems, mental health issues, or substance use and addiction disorders. Motivational interviewing has also successfully been used along with other forms of therapy to improve the connection between the patient and the clinician and to alter the process at which the patient makes life changes.
This course contains downloadable online lessons (PDF) and a practice test. When you’re ready, purchase the course by clicking the “Add To Cart” button. This will let you take the test, complete the course evaluation and receive your certificate for CE credits.
- Define motivational interviewing and the basic structure of its use in treatment or therapy.
- List the four main principles associated with motivational interviewing.
- Describe techniques used as part of motivational interviewing to assess ambivalence and foster change in the client.
- Explain how motivational interviewing can be used as part of treatment for substance abuse and addiction.
- Motivational Interviewing
- An Overview
- Stages Of Readiness For Change
- Empathy And Engaging The Patient
- Motivational Interviewing Process And Techniques
- Lifespan And Cultural Perspectives
- Disease Management And Motivational Interviewing
- Diabetes And Motivational Interviewing
- Heart Disease And Motivational Interviewing
- Severe And Persistent Mental Illness
- Depression And MI
- Suicide And MI
- Co-occurring Disorders And MI
- Personality Disorders And MI
- Motivational Interviewing And Prenatal Care
- Addiction And Pregnancy
- Smoking Cessation And Motivational Interviewing
Jassin M. Jouria, MD
Jassin M. Jouria is a medical doctor, professor of academic medicine, and medical author. He graduated from Ross University School of Medicine and has completed his clinical clerkship training in various teaching hospitals throughout New York, including King’s County Hospital Center and Brookdale Medical Center, among others. Dr. Jouria has served as a test prep tutor and instructor for Kaplan. He has developed several medical courses and curricula for a variety of educational institutions. Dr. Jouria has also served on multiple levels in the academic field including faculty member and Department Chair. Dr. Jouria continues to serves as a Subject Matter Expert for several continuing education organizations covering multiple basic medical sciences.
Accreditation Approval Statements
CE4Less.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE4Less.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
CE4Less.com, provider #1115, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 08/08/21-08/08/24. Social workers completing this course receive 4 clinical continuing education credits.
CE4Less.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6991. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CE4Less.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Courses have been approved by CE4Less.com, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #91345 CE4Less.com is responsible for all aspects of the programming.
We are committed to providing our learners with unbiased information. CE4Less never accepts commercial support and our authors have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to the material.