Practice Level: Intermediate
The United States has a serious substance misuse problem. Substance misuse is the use of alcohol or drugs in a manner, situation, amount, or frequency that could cause harm to the user or to those around them. Alcohol and drug misuse and related substance use disorders affect millions of Americans and impose enormous costs on society. This course looks at the prevalence, impact, and diagnosis of disorders.
This course contains downloadable online lessons (PDF) and a practice test. When you’re ready, purchase the course by clicking the “Add To Cart” button. This will let you take the test, complete the course evaluation and receive your certificate for CE credits.
- Discuss the prevalence of substance misuse
- Describe the impact of substance abuse
- Explain the impact of marijuana legalization
- Substances Discussed
- Prevalence of Substance Use, Misuse Problems, and Disorders
- Costs and Impact of Substance Misuse
- Vulnerability to Substance Misuse Problems and Disorders
- Diagnosing a Substance Use Disorder
- The Separation of Substance Use Treatment and General Health Care
- Recent Changes in Health Care Policy and Law
- Marijuana – A Changing Legal and Research Environment
- Purpose, Focus, and Format of the Report
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. SAMHSA leads public health efforts that advance the behavioral health of the nation. On samhsa.gov SAMHSA states that its mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on communities in America.
Accreditation Approval Statements
CE4Less.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE4Less.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
CE4Less.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6991. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CE4Less.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Courses have been approved by CE4Less.com, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #91345 CE4Less.com is responsible for all aspects of the programming.
We are committed to providing our learners with unbiased information. CE4Less never accepts commercial support and our authors have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to the material.